Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review: NARS Pure Matte Lipstick

I don't know about you, but I am a sucker for matte when it comes to makeup. Matte foundation, matte eye shadows, and above all, MATTE LIPSTICK. I know some people steer clear of matte lipsticks because it can be drying or staining or hard to apply. But it doesn't always have to be that way! My remedy for that is lightly scrubbing your lips after you've brushed your teeth and washed your face, then applying a balm immediately after and before your makeup application. Okay, I can see myself veering off-topic. So back to matte lipsticks. The reason I gravitate towards matte lipstick is that it tends to pack a bigger punch, i.e., more pigmented, longer lasting, and less likely to stick to my hair (gross).

So, with that being said, this is a review of my favorite matte lipstick: NARS Pure Matte Lipstick (did the title give it away?). From its sleek packaging to ease of use, this lipstick is everything I love about makeup rolled into one slender tube.





The packaging is standard NARS packaging- sleek, black with white lettering, and a slight velvet texture. The cap is fairly secure to the tube so you don't have to worry about tossing this in your bag. This goes for $26 on the NARS and Sephora websites, which you would think is reasonable for NARS. But compare to a regular NARS lipstick, you realize that you're getting almost half the amount of product for the same price. I'll rationalize it by saying this product does last a while and a little goes a long way. But damn, it's hard not to keep those figures in the back of your mind.

(Not Pictured: Terre de Feu. Forgotten in the depths of another purse)

The labeling is pretty simple. The only way you can discern which shade is which is if you look at the bottom, which contains a sticker with tiny print. This is my only gripe, since I don't want to go through and check the bottom and squint at each one to see if I'm grabbing the right shade. But in the grand scheme of things (as grand a scheme as lipstick can be, I guess), this is only a minor flaw when you think about the quality of the product you're getting.

Volga (l) and Vesuvio (r)

When you twist up the product, it doesn't have the rounded angle as most lipsticks. It's a flat-angled cylinder of slimmer girth. This allows for a more controlled application. You can use it full on to completely fill your lips or use the angle for more precision. To be honest, I don't know how far this shape will hold up, seeing as mine are becoming slightly rounded. But I'm guessing that the tube, mimicking the shape of the product, acts as a subtle guide for prolonged wear. 

Volga (l) & Vesuvio (r)

The product swatched very smoothly, almost glided onto my hand, depositing ample amount of color. Usually, with matte lip products, you experience a bit of a drag or slight tugging. The pigmentation is on par with other matte lip colors, although it doesn't exactly mirror the color in the tube. Volga is a deep plum color, very on-trend for fall and winter. Wearing this color makes my lips look smaller and more severe, which is a look I sometimes go for anyways. I make sure to tone down the eye and cheek makeup when I sport this shade. Vesuvio is a true, high-impact red. I stick to subtle neutral makeup when I wear this. 

The wear-time I get out of this lipstick is about 4-6 with no touch ups. I can sip on coffee, eat some pasta, and snack on a brownie and the color stays pretty true on my lips. What I especially love about this product is that, as the day goes on, it doesn't dry out your lips. It starts to feel like a balm and sits very comfortably on your lips. And when it does eventually fade, it leaves a slight stain, so that you don't get patchy fade marks and lines on your lips as you would with other lipsticks. 

Would I recommend this to friends? Of course. But I also believe if you are more budget-conscious, there might be better alternatives out there for you. 

xx M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments might take a while to show up due to moderation. Thank you for reading and commenting!